Monday, June 27, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things...blog party time!

My favorite blog things that is...so here goes! I hope you give them a try like I have already done. They are now part of my blog family and I hope they become blog family members of yours too!
So let's get this party started!

RA Guy Rocks! I am not sure which of his posts is my favorite one but this one is his most recent...I for one love his art work! And while you are there, buckle up and do take the ra roller coaster ride :-)
http://www.rheumatoidarthritisguy.com/2011/06/rheumatoid-arthritis-roller-coaster/
http://www.rheumatoidarthritisguy.com/2011/06/ra-guys-hope-unlimited-mug/

Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy is pleased to announce the release of his “Hope! Unlimited” mug, which is now available on Zazzle.com!
RA Guy's Hope Unlimited Mug
This mug was especially designed for all superheroes who are living with rheumatoid arthritis, including their friends, family members, and co-workers.
Hand drawn by RA Guy, the art work includes some of the most popular comic book images from his website. The white text on the blue sky is from his “About Me” page, which represents the first words that were ever published on his blog.
You too will feel like a superhero when you use this mug!
Help superheroes like myself overcome “Flare Incorporated” and reach “Hope! Unlimited”.
 RA Warrior...
http://rawarrior.com/santa-bring-her-a-rheumatologist-please/

Santa, Bring Her a Rheumatologist Please


Wanted poster: rheumatologist

Wanted: good rheumatologists

Sonya’s tweet brought me a smile. So much truth in so few words. Those of us with rheum diseases like RA need a good doctor the way most people need a reliable car mechanic. We might crash and burn without it.
This is short for two reasons:
1) I don’t have a long list of requirements. It’s pretty simple.
2) I want to hear about what you want or need in a rheumatologist!

Santa bring me a rheum Tweet

My list: rheumatologist wanted who…

  1. Performs joint examinations and accurately records medical history.
  2. Uses suitable tests for monitoring disease progression and to help insure safety with prescriptions.
  3. Stays up to date on current tests, treatments, and research.
  4. Does not try to use rheum factor lab tests or CRP the way endocrinologists use blood glucose tests, but asks patients about disease activity.
  5. Will fairly communicate with patients on an adult level without any type of abuse.
Treating RA is not easy and we know the field is changing quickly. Rheumatologists can learn more about RA by listening to patients and not scoffing at their symptoms, or rolling their eyes, or making rude comments such as “At least you don’t have nodules like some b@$%&* do!” or “Just get over yourself!” (Those are real recent comments sent by readers.)
Let’s boil it down to what really counts.

What do you want in a rheumatologist?

Note! I get lots of letters asking to help find a good rheumatologist. And this will only increase when the new Rheumatoid Patient Foundation site is opened. If you have a great rheumatologist, you can leave his or her name in a comment here to nominate him / her for the recommended rheum docs list. We are building a great list. We will ask if they’d like to be on the list and a patient’s name will never be mentioned.

P.S.....This is ABCsof RA here...anyone know of a great one in southeast region of NC? I am still a hunting for my great ra doc!
****************************************************************************************************************************
RA: Ready for Action


Sunday, June 26, 2011


Water Exercise


When I was officially diagnosed with RA, I joined the YWCA and started attending water exercise classes there. I also had to go out and buy a swimsuit--for the first time in 15 years! Going to the YWCA is good for my ego, as I am among the youngest there (me, with my white hair) and am almost "thin" in comparison to some people.

I especially like the deep water exercise classes, where we exercise with the noodle. It can be strenuous, though each person adapts at his/her own pace. I really like it and feel better going to these classes.

When I can attend two consecutive classes, I feel really good about myself. However, sometimes two of the deep water classes can be too much for me. It works out best if one is in the shallow end and the other in the deep end, like on Thursday mornings when there is first a water yoga class followed by an exercise one.

Not having gone since Thursday, I am eager to start again tomorrow. Luckily, I do not work, because this takes up most of each morning.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Deb, thanks so much for mentioning my blog. I love going there each day and listing one simple thing that happened in my life to make it better. I always love your comments. They always bring a smile.

Deb aka AbcsOfra said...

My pleasure...I like your blog!