Tuesday, July 3, 2012

How I try to forget about ra...

I know that we can never really forget about ra because it is there like the very heart that keeps us going. But I do try really hard to forget about my ra.  And one of my favorite places I like to go when I am able is a local hideaway here in my hometown.  I can't help but smile when I am here...
This lovely little gem is our county's arboretum.  Here I am taken away by the beauty of a cultivated haven, kept safe by master gardeners trained at this very spot.

Every season offers a variety of bursting colors, smells, and natural beauty that reminds me of just how blessed I truly am on this earth.

And every corner offers a different garden...should one wish to replicate it in their own backyard. I say...just move me here instead!

In addition to a water garden, a Japanese garden, Children's garden, and ability garden there is a breathtaking rose garden.  But this beauty only blooms once per year.

And even though I come here to get away from it all, I am still reminded of the beast that lurks within.  This serpent has become my mascot of sorts for my personal ra.  He is always hiding but if you look closely you will see him at every turn.

And although there is a lovely paved walkway that weaves in and near each garden, if one is brave you can get off the beaten path if you wish.
This little gem is one of my favorite flowers!  And yes, I do have these in my backyard at home as well.

For me, bridges remind me of my accomplishments.  There is just something comforting and inviting when I see such a beauty.  I can't help but want to crossover it and get to the other side.

And yes, for the weary they have built in many rest stops along the way.

If you are lucky enough to have an arboretum in your neck of the woods, I highly recommend you pack a picnic and head on over.  You may just be surprised at the many wonders that lurk within.  Happy trails!
OKz...letz me getz thiz straightz. Yuz getz toz goez toz thiz loveliez place, whiltz I stays homez in my holez? Ohz heckz noz! Youz willz payz dearlyz tonightz!


14 comments:

Christine said...

Beautiful photos! Thank you sharing your special place with us!

Theresa said...

I know exactly how you feel! Our week away this past week, as exhausting as it was, was a very nice distraction from the illness that never goes away. Just getting out of the routine of things and concentrating on something else is very helpful. Nature ALWAYS does that for me! LOVE your pictures!! Thank you for sharing your little slice of nature with us!!

Blessings, my friend!

Theresa

Unknown said...

Oh wow! I think having this as a place to hangout would make me forget about a lot of things. Absolutely lovely photos.

Deb aka AbcsOfra said...

Christine...I wish I could live there :-) It is that beautiful.

Theresa...And it is free! Can't beat that. Although I will say, I donate when I can to them because it is such an uplifting refreshing retreat in my life and for the community.

Cathy...I find lately, I am wanting to forget alot. Too much going on in my life lately. When it rains it pours. Hmmmm...shall I say Murphy's law :-)

tracy.rose@healthline.com said...

Hi Deb,

Healthline editors recently published the final list of their favorite Rheumatoid Arthritis blogs and your blog made the list. You can find the complete list at: http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/best-rheumatoid-arthritis-blogs (in no particular order). We encourage you to share your status as one of the best blogs on the web with your friends, family, & followers.

We also created a set of badges you can easily embed on your site & anywhere else you see fit:

http://www.healthline.com/health/rheumatoid-arthritis-badges

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Congrats & continue the great work!

Warm Regards,
Tracy

Susan said...

Congrats on making "the list"! Well done!

Your photos and blog always make me smile - you are a great role model for us all.

And oh, my, how nice it is to forget for a few moments all that ails us - physical and otherwise.

Susan said...

Congrats on making "the list"! Well done!

Your photos and blog always make me smile - you are a great role model for us all.

And oh, my, how nice it is to forget for a few moments all that ails us - physical and otherwise.

Terry said...

Hey Deb, what a great place to getaway to. Would love to walk around take in everything. Thanks for bringing it to us.

Marianna Paulson said...

Hi Deb,
Kudos to you for:
1. Your award from http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/best-rheumatoid-arthritis-blogs#12.

2. Taking the time to revel in the beauty of nature. Sitting, smelling, walking and being at peace in Mother Nature's best is a curative. Especially when you learn that those positive feelings change the chemical cascade, with benefits that move you out of the Stress Zone and into the Stress-Free Zone.

I get my daily dose of Vitamin Nature and it does wonders for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Great site. These personal experiences are some of the most important contributions the advancement of RA.

I'm working on a project to help people living with RA get better access to non-corporate sources of information. My hope is to help add a "research" layer on top of the great content out there and drive more people to great RA sites like yours.

I'd love to send you more info, but I don't see an email address on your site. I've signed up 13 of the 22 Healthline Best RA sites of 2012 so far and would love to have you as part of this project.

You can reach me at dave@lyfechannel.com and I'll send you some more details.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

You live in such a beautiful place in the U.S.! I bet it is tremendous therapy for the soul.

I hope that you are doing well and enjoying the changes of season on the horizon.

Nan Hart said...

just viewing this lovely place on your blog has lifted my spirits! thanks for sharing! nan

Furqi said...

I've gone through your post. It's really nice post with some cool pix :)
I would like you to share some post on bridal jewellery with some cool pix as in this post.
I would really appreciate you effort.
Thanks.

/\__/\ said...

Nature and great view also helps me in overcoming my pain from RA. I have been under massive pain few months after being diagnosed with RA. rheumatoid arthritis symptoms are really depressing. But thank goodness i overcame it and now dealing with it. Proper exercise and regular check ups really helps.