Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Life is not the way it's supposed to be!

Not my feet...these are too pretty to be mine. They are my daughter's.


A very dear friend of mine forwarded me an email today with the following quote...

 "Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is.. 
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference."

This saying really resonated with me. Life is not the way it's supposed to be. I shouldn't have ra. No one should have ra. But, it's the way it is. Simple and true. And, what was even more profound is "the way we cope with it, is what makes the difference". 

I can't change the fact that I have ra. You can't change the fact that you have it either.  But I can change how I react emotionally and mentally to this disease. In fact, that is probably the only thing that I can change about my ra.

And so, every single day that is my mantle, to change how I cope with ra. To change how I react to the pain of my ra. To change how I react to the disability of my ra and most importantly, to change how I live my life with ra. 

My vision gets blurry sometimes about my quest and it takes every single fiber of my being not to just throw up my hands and say, "I quit!" But somehow, someway I keep on keeping on. One foot in front of the other…..



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Once again, I love your photos. Beautiful!

I hope that even though your feet aren't in these photos that you were able to take your shoes off and enjoy the beautiful sand. Just looking at these beautiful pictures makes coping with RA easier. :)

Candee said...

In harmony with that point..just remember you're not alone. You have a family of RA sufferers out here that root for you...and now, look forward to your encouraging posts. gentle hugs,

Deb aka AbcsOfra said...

Cathy, I like the beach but the sand doesn't do well for my ra. I still go anyway. I wear sneakers onto the sand and pool shoes otherwise. The shifting sand can be hard on my joints but I refuse (so far God willing) to give up my seashell hunting days.

Deb aka AbcsOfra said...

Candee, thank you for your comforting words. It means so much to me. Having ra friends to share this journey with has made my life so much more bearable. Thank you!

Betty Richardson said...

I heard this years ago in counseling but its good to read it again now because it is so true. I too love the beach and don't walk the sand as much as I use to but I haven't thrown in the towel yet....

Deb aka AbcsOfra said...

Betty I hope you NEVER throw in that towel. We've got to keep fighting this disease...we must! Thank you for posting a comment.